The Sanitation / Recycling Division of the Department of Public Works is responsible for the collection of garbage, recycling, bulk and service for dumpster rentals. Please see municipal calendar (pdf) for pick up and holiday schedule, or refer to the weekly local newspaper or Comcast channel 20 for pick up schedules.
Garbage / Recycling
• Placed in containers no larger than 32 gallons, and 50 lbs.
• Limited to 4 containers per pickup day and may be placed curbside after 6:00pm the day before or prior to 6am the scheduled collection day.
• Containers must be removed 12 hours after pick up.
• South of Broadway – Monday & Thursday
• North of Broadway – Tuesday & Friday
Exceptions to the north & south collection rules: All of Broadway and the “Wall St. Section” located south of Broad, west of Norwood, north of Wall & east of Oakwood follow “North of Broadway” rules.
Household Battery Disposal
Effective immediately, due to changes in recycling procedures enacted by Monmouth County, the City of Long Branch will no longer require recycling common carbon-zinc and alkaline household batteries (AAA, AA, A, C, D, 9-volt, single use and rechargeable). These batteries should now be disposed with regular household or commercial trash.
When battery recycling began, there were significant amounts of heavy metals, especially mercury, present in household batteries. Toxic metals have been reduced or eliminated in the manufacture of these batteries allowing trash disposal.
The City of Long Branch, in conjunction with Monmouth County will continue to accept “button batteries” used in various small electronic products. These batteries still contain significant amounts of mercury to require separate handling.
Required Recycling for All Businesses and Residences
* FOOD AND BEVERAGE CANS, GLASS BOTTLES, PLASTIC BOTTLES.
* CARDBOARD (NO STYROFOAM PACKING) NEWSPAPERS, MAGAZINES, JUNK MAIL, PHONE BOOKS, ADVERTISEMENTS, OFFICE PAPER AND ANY OTHER PAPER NOT USED FOR FOOD SERVICE.
* (cardboard must be cross tied into 50 lb bundles)
* (magazines, junk mail, etc. may be mixed with newspaper and cross tied into 50 lb bundles)
ALL PAPER GOODS WILL BE COLLECTED AT THE CURB ON MONDAY OR TUESDAY, SAME DAY AS GARBAGE COLLECTION FOR YOUR STREET.
ALL CANS, GLASS AND PLASTIC WILL BE COLLECTED AT THE CURB ON THURSDAY OR FRIDAY, SAME DAY AS GARBAGE COLLECTION FOR YOUR STREET.
Bulk Trash (residential only, no commercial entities)
TV’s , computers & electronics will no longer be picked up as bulk. Refer to Voluntary Recycling Drop Off Center.
Picked up each Wednesday, except if there is a holiday on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday.
Bulk trash consists of
• Furniture (no pianos)
• Appliances, refrigerator (doors removed)
• Metal items
• Car tires (max 4), no rims, separate tires and metal from non-metal items, do not mix with branches or leaves.
Place items in an orderly manner no more than 3 ft. From curb line. Items between sidewalk and house will not be collected.
As of January 20th 2011, the disposal of all non-hazardous metal materials, including white goods and items containing refrigerant, such as refrigerators, air conditioners and dehumidifiers maybe be taken to the DPW Atlantic Ave Yard for disposal between 7AM and 3PM, Monday thru Friday.
Bulk is limited to a maximum of 8 items total. No construction debris or materials will be accepted. See dumpster rentals below.
Dumpster Rental Information:
Dumpster rentals are available for Tuesday thru Thursday or Thursday thru Tuesday at a cost of $175.00 per dumpster load. Dumpster size is 10 ft long x 4 ft high and 5 ft wide. They hold 6 cubic yards. Restrictions: No hazardous waste products; no recyclable materials; no asbestos, wet paint or asphalt shingles; no dirt,bricks,rocks,cement or slate; no recyclable metals; no auto or truck tires or parts; no plaster above 1/2 full; no loading above dumpster rim; no leaves, branches, tree stumps or grass; once placed -containers can not be moved; do not overload.
Please come to the DPW office at 636 Joline Ave. between 7:00 AM and 3:00 PM to arrange for a dumpster. Check or money order, no cash.